NOTICE OF PRIVACY PRACTICES
EFFECTIVE NOVEMBER 2020
YOUR INFORMATION. YOUR RIGHTS. OUR RESPONSIBILITIES.
THIS NOTICE DESCRIBES HOW MEDICAL INFORMATION ABOUT YOU MAY BE USED AND DISCLOSED AND HOW YOU CAN GET ACCESS TO THIS INFORMATION. PLEASE REVIEW IT CAREFULLY.
When it comes to your health information, you have certain rights. This section explains your rights and some of our responsibilities to help you.
Exercising Your Rights: You may exercise any of your below rights by visiting the Patient Rights page or completing the
Member Complaint/Grievance Form, or calling Member Services at 800.877.7195.
|Get a copy of your health and claims records||
|Ask us to correct health and claims records||
|Request confidential communications||
|Ask us to limit what we use or share||
|Get a copy of this privacy Notice||
|Get a list of those with whom we've shared information||
|Choose someone to act for you||
|File a complaint if you feel your rights are violated||
For certain health information, you can tell us your choices about what we share. If you have a clear preference for how we share your information in situations described below, talk to us. Tell us what you want us to do, and we will follow your instructions.
|In these cases, you have both the right and choice to tell us to:||
|In these cases, we never share your information unless you give us written permission:||
OUR USES AND DISCLOSURES
How do we typically use or share your health information? We typically use or share your health information in the following ways:
|OUR USES AND DISCLOSURES|
|Help manage the health care treatment you receive||We can use your health information and share it with professionals who are treating you.||Example: We may share information about your eye condition to another health care professional to assist in their treatment of you.|
|Run our organization||We can use and disclose your health information to run our organization and contact you when necessary. VSP does not collect genetic information.||Example: We use health information about you to conduct quality assessment and improvement activities or audits (e.g. fraud and abuse detection and compliance programs).|
|Pay for your health services||We can use and disclose your health information as we pay for your health services.||Example: We share health information about you with your health plan to determine eligibility, process claims or coordinate payment for covered services you receive under your benefit plan.|
|Communicate with you||We can use your health information to communicate with you for treatment and healthcare operations purposes.||Example: We use health information about you to communicate refill reminders or contact you to remind you of appointments or to communicate with you about our health-related products or services, or recommend alternative treatments.|
How else can we use or share your health information? We are allowed or required to share your information in other ways – usually in ways that contribute to the public good, such as for public health and research purposes. We have to meet many conditions in the law before we can share your information for these purposes. For more information visit the Department of Health & Human Services Your Rights Under HIPAA.
|Help with public health and safety issues||We can share health information about you for certain situations such as:
|Do research||VSP does not use or collect protected health information for research purposes.|
|Comply with the law||We will share information about you if state or federal laws require it, including with the Department of Health and Human Services if it wants to see that we’re complying with federal privacy law.|
|Respond to organ and tissue donation requests and work with medical examiner or funeral director||
|Address workers’ compensation, law enforcement, and other government requests||
We can use or share health information about you:
|Respond to lawsuits, legal actions or complaints||We can share health information about you in response to a court or administrative order, in response to a subpoena or for the limited purpose of investigation and resolution of a complaint or inquiry related to our product.|
ADDITIONAL APPLICABLE LAW REQUIREMENTS:
VSP will abide by more stringent state and federal laws where applicable.
- We are required by law to maintain the privacy and security of your protected health information.
- Breach Notification: We will let you know promptly if a breach occurs that may have compromised the privacy or security of your information.
- We must follow the duties and privacy practices described in this Notice and give you a copy of it.
- Right to Revoke: If you tell us we can share your information other than as described in this Notice, you may change your mind at any time. Let us know in writing if you change your mind.
- For more information see Department of Health & Human Services Notice of Privacy Practices.
- VSP does not collect genetic information and is prohibited from using or disclosing genetic information for underwriting purposes.
- VSP does not collect substance abuse treatment records and will never share any substance abuse treatment records without your written permission.
- Nondiscrimination Statement: VSP complies with applicable Federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.
- Notice Revisions: We can change the terms of this Notice, and the changes will apply to all information we have about you. The new Notice will be available upon request, on our website, and we will notify you by mail or email.
Contact VSP if you have questions about your privacy rights, believe that we may have violated your privacy rights, or disagree with a decision that we made about access to your PHI, you may contact us at the following address or email:
Attention: Privacy Office
3333 Quality Drive
Rancho Cordova CA 95670